Thursday, June 25, 2009

Angel of Freedom' Neda Agha Soltan

What if you don't want to be the 'Angel of Freedom'?

What if you don't want to be a political piece/a peace bringer/a bigger thing in the light of it all?

What if you'd trade that title for three score years and ten.

But no, while people tried to save you, with a shot to the heart, others filmed your dying moments and it feels mucky.

I'm mucky.

I watched it. Your eyes, aghast at what was happening - the whole surreal moment - your 26 years ending in the company of 1989076 youtube users.

My heart goes out to you
Neda, a girl whose 60 second death will be remembered more than her life of 26 years.

RIP

1 comment:

The Great Wee Azoo said...

I don't know what this is, but I'm assuming it's someone's death, filmed for YouTube. I don't want to watch. I recall the time when an American was beheaded with a knife a few years ago and the images, with accompanying screams were posted online. I didn't want to watch that either. Such things are routinely to be seen on the mobile phones of our children. I did watch a film of an old lady die (in an art gallery) once, and I forced myself to watch Saddam Husseins death by hanging, convincing myself I was witness to the mucky hypocrisy of American justice. Is that different? I also recall an episode of The Simpsons where Lisa demands Bart watches some violent TV show, so they could be desensitised to it.